Google Walkout: I’m Still in Charge, Says CEO

Google Walkout: I’m Still in Charge, Says CEO

Following Google’s employees walked out of their offices worldwide to protest the company’s handling of alleged misconduct by some executives, the Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai on Thursday said that he’s still in charge and won’t be constantly swayed by staff uprisings.

Speaking at a conference in New York, he said they don’t run the company by referendum and there are many good things about giving employees a lot of voice, out of that they have done well.

The internal dynamics may appear chaotic to outsiders, but they’re not as intense as some have characterized them to be, he added.

Google employs more than 50,000 full-time staff but has maintained a more transparent culture than other corporate behemoths. Employees openly debate on internal forums and are free to speak their minds at weekly all-hands meetings where executives take questions.

On Thursday, thousands of Google employees walked out of their offices worldwide to protest the company’s handling of alleged misconduct by some executives. Last week, Android creator Andy Rubin received a $90 million pay out after leaving because of a sexual harassment accusation by an employee. Google, a unit of Alphabet Inc., says it doesn’t offer payouts to people it fires for sexual harassment anymore.

The company has also gotten heat from U.S. politicians for ending an AI contract with the U.S. military. Pichai said Thursday that the company still works with the military on many other projects.

 

Facebook Comments

leave a reply